Assessment of changes in spatial extent and surface elevation of glaciers using remote sensing; Extraction and analysis of ice cores; Glacier ground-based geodetic surveys and mass balance; Ground radio-echo sounding surveys for glacier thickness mapping; Dust impacts on glaciated environments.
since 2016 Head of Dept. of Glaciology The Institute of Geography
Russian Academy of Sciences
Nov 2016 - Visiting research scientist
Jan 2017 Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center, Ohio State University 1090 Carmack Rd, Columbus, OH 43210, +1 (614) 292-6531
2009-2015 Senior Research Fellow (permanent position),
2012-2014 Marie Curie Research Fellow
The University of Reading, Dept. of Geography and Environmental Science, School of human and Environmental Sciences, Miller Building, Whiteknights, PO Box 227, Reading, RG6 6AB, UK; Phone: +44(0)1183788740; Fax: +44(0)1189755865
since 2010 Scientific secretary of the Dept. of Glaciology The Institute of Geography RAS.
since 2011 Scientific secretary of the Glaciological association of the former soviet states
Since 2008 Global Land Ice Monitoring from Space (GLIMS) project: Stuart for Regional Center 16 (former Soviet Union), mountains of Siberia.
2004-2009 Researcher The Institute of Geography RAS
2000-2005 Department of Cryolithology and Glaciology. Faculty of Geography, Moscow State (Lomonosov ) University (MSU)
25 June 2005 First Class joint BSc and MSc degree in Glaciology. MSc thesis title ‘Glacier Changes in the Inner Tien-Shan Mountains since the End of the 19th century’.
2005-2008 Ph.D. student, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
2007-2008 Visiting Ph.D. student at the University of Reading, Reading, UK. Duration of stay: 4 months a year over two years. Funding: EU INTAS Young Scientist Fellowship.
November 2009 Ph.D. in Glaciology. Thesis title ‘Glacier Changes in the Inner Tien-Shan Mountains during the last 150 years’
2013- 1 month visiting researcher at LGGE, Grenoble
Areas of Interest:
Assessment of changes in spatial extent and surface elevation of glaciers using remote sensing;
Extraction and analysis of ice cores;
Mineral microparticles in ice cores;
Dust impacts on glaciated environments.
Glacier ground-based geodetic surveys and mass balance;
Ground radio-echo sounding surveys for glacier thickness mapping;
2014-2016 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 14-05-00137 Assessment of current conditions and changes within the high-altitude environment of the Caucasus mountains based on ice core and instrumental data. Principal Investigator.
2014-2016 Russian Science Fund grant № 14-17-00764 Russian Arctic western sector landscapes and water arenas radioactive pollution forecast and radioactive influence on the oil and gas industry objects in the climate changing conditions. Co-investigator
2014-2016 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 14-05-31102Reconstruction of paleoclimate in the Greater Caucasus highlands based on isotopic studies of ice cores Principal Investigator.
2012-2014 FP7-PEOPLE Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship, project “Dust Impacts on Glaciated Environments” (DIOGENES). Principal Investigator.
2011-2013 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 11-05-00728 “Assessment of glacier volume in Northern Caucasus and its changes since the middle of XX century” Principal Investigator.
2011-2013 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 11-05-00304 “Development of integrated paleoclimatological reconstruction for the Northern Caucasus on a base of ice-core studies and dendrochronology” Co-investigator.
2011-2012 President Grants for Government Support of Young Russian Scientists and the Leading Scientific Schools of the Russian Federation grant № МК-875.2011.5 “Ice storage changes in the Northern Caucasus since the mid XX century” Principal Investigator.
2011-2012 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 11-05-91159 “Evaluation of Central Asia glaciation changes and its consequences. Mass balance of high Asia glacier systems and their response to global warming” Co-investigator.
2009 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 09-05-10043-k ‘Deep Ice-core Drilling and Palaeoclimatic Data Collecting on Mt. Elbrus, Caucasus.’ Co-investigator.
2007 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 07-05 00410а ‘Deep ice-core drilling on Mt. Elbrus as a Background for a New Palaeoclimatic Reconstruction in the Low Latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere.’ Co-investigator.
2007-2009 EU Independent Assistance (INTAS) programme, grant № 8593 ‘Evaluating the Recent and Future Climate Change and Glacier Dynamics in the Mountains of Southern Siberia’ Co-investigator.
2007-2008 EU Independent Assistance (INTAS) programme, Young Scientist (PhD) Fellowship, grant № 5742 ‘Variability in the Extent and Mass Balance of Glaciers in Response to Climatic Fluctuations in the Central Tien-Shan Mountains since the end of the XIX century.’ Principal Investigator.
2004-2007 The International Science and Technology Center grant № 2947 ‘Tree-ring and Ice-core Record Combination for Palaeoclimatic Reconstructions in the Tien Shan, Kamchatka, and Taymir/Franz Josef Land /Severnaya Zemlia.’ Co-investigator.
2004-2006 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, grant № 04-05-64644 ‘Spatial reconstruction of Tien Shan Climate of the Last 400 Years based on Tree-ring Analysis.’ Co-investigator.
2003 Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Young Scientists Support Programme, grant № 03-05-06099. ‘Changes in now cover in the central Northern Caucasus’. Principal Investigator.
Professional activities, experience, and skills
Extraction and analysis of ice cores
During the field works responsible for ice-core extraction using manual and electromechanical drilling equipment; initial description and preparation for transportation and storage of ice cores. In the cold laboratory, responsible for detail description of ice cores, photography, cutting the ice cores for samples, particles analysis using Coulter particle Counter and Scanning microscopy, XRD, isotopic composition analysis and interpretation.
This work is associated with several projects:
(1) Shallow ice-core extraction and measurements of borehole temperature on the Gregoriev Ice Cap (4600m. a.s.l.), Tien Shan, Central Asia, May 2003 - July 2003;
(2) Shallow ice-core drilling on the Eastern Summit of Mt. Elbrus,2006;
(3) Deep ice-core drilling at the Ichinsky Volcano, Kamchatka, 2006;
(4) Deep ice-core drilling at Mt. Elbrus, Central Caucasus, 2009.
(5) Shallow ice-core drilling, radio-echo sounding, and measurements of borehole temperature at the western Elbrus Plateau (5050-5150 m. a.s.l.), Caucasus, 2004, 2012, 2013;
(6) Shallow ice-core drilling, radio-echo sounding at the Kazbek mnt. (4900 m.a.s.l.) Caucasus 2014, 2015
(7) Deep ice core drilling, radio-echo sounding at the Gulya mnt. Kunlun, Tibet (6100-6700 m.a.s.l.) 2015.
(8) Shallow ice-core drilling, lake sediment drilling and topographic surveys at the Quelcaya ice cap and Huascaran mnt. (6000 m.a.s.l.) Peru, 2016
Assessment of changes in spatial extent and surface elevation of glaciers using remote sensing
(1) Glacier mapping in various regions including the Caucasus Mountains, mountains of southern Siberia and Central Asia using ERDAS Imagine and GLIMS View software using Landsat and ASTER satellite imagery and aerial photography, and Arc GIS;
(2) Construction of digital elevation models (DEM) using aerial photographs and Suttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data
(3) Mapping glacier debris cover using visible and thermal satellite imagery.
This work is associated with three international projects: (i) Global Land Ice Measurements from Space (GLIMS); (ii) EU INTAS ‘Variability in the Extent and Mass Balance of Glaciers in Response to Climatic Fluctuations in the Central Tien-Shan Mountains since the end of the XIX century’; (iii) EU INTAS ‘Evaluating the Recent and Future Climate Change and Glacier Dynamics in the Mountains of Southern Siberia’.
Glacier ground-based surveys and mass balance
(1) Measurements and calculations of glaciological mass balance of Garabashi Glacier, Caucasus
(2) Estimation of geodetic mass balance of various glaciers using DEMs constructed from maps, aerial photographs, ground based surveys using differential GPS.
Ground radio-echo sounding survey using low frequency (20 МHz) video impulse radar (VIRL) with digital data registration system used for mapping the glacier thickness.
Responsible for field work in following projects:
(1) Radio-echo sounding on the Kukurtlu Plateau (5050-5150 m. a.s.l.), west slope of Mt. Elbrus, Caucasus, June 2004, June-July 2007;
(2) Radio-echo sounding on the eastern summit of Mt. Elbrus, Caucasus, June – July 2006;
(3) Radio-echo sounding of the Bashkara, Djankuat and Grabashi Glaciers, Caucasus in July 2010.
(4) Aerial radio-echo sounding using helicopter in Caucasus, 2012-2014
(5) Radio-echo sounding, mass balance measurements in Svalbard in 2014
(6) Geophysical measurements in Akshiirak range in Central Asia (joint project with Zurich University.
Sep 2013 - FSF Introduction to Field Spectroscopy course at the University of Edinburgh,
field work with SVC device on glaciers in Central Caucasus to study spectral reflectance of the glacier surface.
Tree-ring studies sample collection in Kamchatka Peninsula, August 2006 and in the Tien Shan, Central Asia, 2005. Sample analysis in laboratory including ring width definition using Microtome.
Regional climate models (RCM) and statistical downscaling
Experience in running experiments and analysing output from PRECIS (PREdicting Climate for Impact Studies) based on HadRM3P RCM developed by the UK Met Office. Developed regional climate scenarios for Central Asia using Statistical DownScaling Model (SDSM).
Meteorological observations and data analysis
Responsible for programming, installation and running automatic weather stations (AWS) including an AWS on Mt. Elbrus, AWS on Djankuat glacier, AWS at Groenfiord glacier in Svalbard.
Responsible for analysis of the meteorological remote sensing data (SEVIRI imagery, MODIS, CALIPSO) as well as Reanalysis data and back trajectories.
Software and programming skills
Good working knowledge of the following software: ERDAS Imagine, Arc GIS, ENVI, GLIMS View, Statistica, Minitab, MatLab, AutoCad, CorelDraw, Microsoft Office
Financial support to attend the IUGG General Assembly in Prague June 22 – July 2 2015
Best geographical study 2014 Russian Geographical Society Award
Adrian Gill Travel Award (AGTA) to attend the EGU 2013, Vienna, Austria, 07-12 April 2013.
Financial support to attend the IUGG General Assembly in Perugia, Italy (2-13 July 2007)
Financial support to attend the EGU 2006, Vienna, Austria, 02-06 April 2006.
Travel grant to attend 2nd PAGES Open Science Meeting 10-12 August 2005 Beijing, China.
English - fluent
French – read and speak to a basic level
- Kutuzov S.S., Mikhalenko V.N., Grachev A.M., Ginot G., Lavrentiev I.I., Kozachek A.V., Krupskaya V.V., Ekaykin A.A., Tielidze L.G., Toropov P.A. First geophysical and shallow ice core investigation of the Kazbek plateau glacier, Caucasus Mountains // Environ Earth Sci (2016) 75: 1488. doi:10.1007/s12665-016-6295-9 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12665-016-6295-9
- Petrakov D, Shpuntova A, Aleinikov A, Kääb A, Kutuzov S, Lavrentiev I, Stoffel M, Tutubalina O, Usubaliev R.Accelerated glacier shrinkage in the Ak-Shyirak massif, Inner Tien Shan, during 2003-2013.Sci Total Environ. 2016;562:364-378. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.03.162.
- Тoropov P.A., Мikhalenko V.N., Kutuzov S.S., Morozova P.A., Shestakova A.A. Temperature and radiation regime of glaciers on slopes of the Мount Elbrus in the ablation period over last 65 years. Ice and Snow. 2016;56(1):5-19. (In Russ.) DOI:10.15356/2076-6734-2016-1-5-19
- Kozachek A.V., Ekaykin A.A., Mikhalenko V.N., Lipenkov V.Y., Kutuzov S.S. Isotopic composition of the ice cores obtained on the Western Plateau of the Mt Elbrus. Ice and Snow . 2015;55(4):35-49. (In Russ.) DOI:10.15356/2076-6734-2015-4-35-49
- Mikhalenko, V., Sokratov, S., Kutuzov, S., Ginot, P., Legrand, M., Preunkert, S., Lavrentiev, I., Kozachek, A., Ekaykin, A., Faïn, X., Lim, S., Schotterer, U., Lipenkov, V., and Toropov, P.: Investigation of a deep ice core from the Elbrus western plateau, the Caucasus, Russia // The Cryosphere. 9. 2015. P. 2253-2270, doi:10.5194/tc-9-2253-2015.
- Rybak О. О., Rybak Е. А., Kutuzov S. S., Lavrentiev I. I., Morozova P. А. (2015) Calibration of a mathematical model of Marukh Glacier, Western Caucasus, Ice and Snow, 55, No 2, 9-20. (in Russian)
- Kutuzov S., Lavrentiev I, Vasilenko E. Macheret Y.Y., Petrakov D.A., Popov G.V. (2015) Estimation of the greater caucasus glaciers volume, using radio-echo sounding data and modelling Earth's Cryosphere XIX(1):78-88
- Shahgedanova, M., Nosenko, G., Kutuzov, S., Rototaeva, O., and Khromova, T.: Deglaciation of the Caucasus Mountains, Russia/Georgia, in the 21st century observed with ASTER satellite imagery and aerial photography, The Cryosphere, 8, 2367-2379, doi:10.5194/tc-8-2367-2014, 2014.
- Kutuzov S., V.N. Mikhalenko, M. V. Shahgedanova, P. Ginot, A.V. Kozachek, T.M. Kuderina, I.I. Lavrentiev, G.V. Popov (2014) Ways of far-distance dust transport onto Caucasian glaciers and chemical composition of snow on the Western plateau of Elbrus Ice and Snow № 3 (127), 5-15. DOI:10.15356/2076-6734-2014-3-5-15 (in Russian)
- Khromova T., Nosenko G., Kutuzov S., Muraviev A. and Chernova L., Glacier area changes in Northern Eurasia. Environmental Research Letters. Environ. Res. Lett. 2014, 9, 015003 doi:10.1088/1748-9326/9/1/015003, 2014
- Pfeffer, W. Tad and Arendt, Anthony A. and Bliss, Andrew and Bolch, Tobias and Cogley, J. Graham and Gardner, Alex S. and Hagen, Jon-Ove and Hock, Regine and Kaser, Georg and Kienholz, Christian and Miles, Evan S. and Moholdt, Geir and Mölg, Nico and Paul, Frank and Radić, Valentina and Rastner, Philipp and Raup, Bruce H. and Rich, Justin and Sharp, Martin J. and Andreassen, L.M. and Bajracharya, S. and Barrand, N.E. and Beedle, M.J. and Berthier, E. and Bhambri, R. and Brown, I. and Burgess, D.O. and Burgess, E.W. and Cawkwell, F. and Chinn, T. and Copland, L. and Cullen, N.J. and Davies, B. and Angelis, H. De and Fountain, A.G. and Frey, H. and Giffen, B.A. and Glasser, N.F. and Gurney, S.D. and Hagg, W. and Hall, D.K. and Haritashya, U.K. and Hartmann, G. and Herreid, S. and Howat, I. and Jiskoot, H. and Khromova, T.E. and Klein, A. and Kohler, J. and König, M. and Kriegel, D. and Kutuzov, S. and Lavrentiev, I. and Le Bris, R. and Li, X. and Manley, W.F. and Mayer, C. and Menounos, B. and Mercer, A. and Mool, P. and Negrete, A. and Nosenko, G. and Nuth, C. and Osmonov, A. and Pettersson, R. and Racoviteanu, A. and Ranzi, R. and Sarıkaya, M.A. and Schneider, C. and Sigurðsson, O. and Sirguey, P. and Stokes, C.R. and Wheate, R. and Wolken, G.J. and Wu, L.Z. and Wyatt, F.R. (2014) 'The Randolph Glacier Inventory : a globally complete inventory of glaciers.', Journal of glaciology., 60 (221). pp. 537-552.
- Lavrentiev I., Kutuzov S., Petrakov D., Popov G., Popovnin V. (2014) Ice thickness, volume and subglacial relief of Djankuat Glacier (Central Caucasus) Ice and Snow 4 (128):7-19. DOI:10.15356/2076-6734-2014-4-7-19 (in Russian)
- Kutuzov, S., Shahgedanova, M., Mikhalenko, V., Ginot, P., Lavrentiev, I., and Kemp, S.: High-resolution provenance of desert dust deposited on Mt. Elbrus, Caucasus in 2009–2012 using snow pit and firn core records, The Cryosphere, 7, 1481-1498, doi:10.5194/tc-7-1481-2013, 2013.
- Shahgedanova, M., Kutuzov, S., White, K. H., and Nosenko, G.: Using the significant dust deposition event on the glaciers of Mt. Elbrus, Caucasus Mountains, Russia on 5 May 2009 to develop a method for dating and "provenancing" of desert dust events recorded in snow pack. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 1797-1808, doi:10.5194/acp-13-1797-2013, 2013.
- Macheret Y.Y., Kutuzov, S.S., Matskovsky V.V., Lavrentiev I.I., (2013) On ice volume assessments, Ice and Snow, 1 (121) 5-16. (in Russian)
- Lecomte, Isabelle; Juliussen, Håvard; Støren, Eivind Wilhelm Nagel; Sauvin, Guillaume Cédric; Hamran, Svein-Erik; Lavrientiev, Ivan; Petrakov, Dmitri; Kutuzov, Stanislav & Tissot, Sylvian (2012). Geophysical Investigations of Unstable Mountain Slopes in Jotunheimen, Norway, In Authors Several (ed.), Near Surface Geoscience 2012. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. ISBN 978-90-73834-34-7.
- Kutuzov, S.S., Lavrentiev I.I., Macheret Y.Y., Petrakov D.A. (2012) Changes of the Marukh glacier from 1945 to 2011 Ice and Snow, 1 (117): 123-127. (in Russian)
- Kutuzov, S.S. (2012) Glacier surface area and volume changes in the Terskey Ala-Too, Tien-Shan in the second half of the 20th century. Ice and Snow, 1 (117): 5-14. (in Russian)
- Mikhalenko V.N., Kutuzov S.S., Nagornov O.V., Tuflin S.A., Lavrentiev I.I., Marchenko S.A., Okopny V.I. (2011) Stratigraphy and temperature regime of western Elbrus ice-firn plateau. in Environmental and climatic changes: natural and technogenic hazards. M, Nauka. p.22-30 (in Russian)
- Lavrentiev, I.I., V.N. Mikhalenko, S.S. Kutuzov (2009) Ice thickness and bedrock relief of the western Elbrus plateau. Ice and Snow, 2: 12-18. (in Russian)
- Kutuzov, S. and M. Shahgedanova (2009) Glacier retreat and climatic variability in the eastern Terskey-Alatoo, inner Tien Shan between the middle of the 19th century and beginning of the 21st century. Global and Planetary Change, 69: 59-70. Doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2009.07.001.
- Mikhalenko, V.N., I.I. Lavrentiev, and S. Kutuzov (2008) Deep ice-core drilling on Mt. Elbrus as a background for a new paleoclimatic reconstruction for the low latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. In Kotlyakov, V.M. (ed). Changes of Environment and Climate: Natural and Connected Technogenic Hazards. Vol.2. P.2: Natural Process in the Earth Polar Regions. IGRAS Press, Moscow. p. 118-124 (in Russian)
- Matoba, S., S.V. Ushakov, K. Shimbori, H. Sasaki, T. Yamasaki, A.A. Ovshannikov, A.G. Manevich, T.M. Zhideleeva, S. Kutuzov, Y.D. Muravyev,Takayuki Shiraiwa (2007) The glaciological expedition to Mount Ichinsky, Kamchatka. Russia. Bulletin of Glaciological Research, Japanese Society of Snow and Ice. 24: 79-85
- Solomina, O.N., F. Schweingruber, O.V. Nagornov, V.A. Kuzmichenok, U.O. Yurina, V.N. Mikhalenko, M.G. Kunahovich, S.S. Kutuzov (2006) Summer air temperature and glaciers ablation reconstructions using tree ring width and density for the last 400 years in the Central Tien-Shan. Data of Glaciological Studies, 100: 100-109. (in Russian)
- Osipova, G.B., D.G. Tsvenkov, S.S. Kutuzov, V.N. Mikhalenko, A.F. Glazovsky (2006) Fluctuation of glaciers in the second half of the 20th century caused by climatic changes, Central Asia, Internal ranges. In Glaciation in North and Central Eurasia at Present Time, 181-187. Nauka Publishers, Moscow. (in Russian)
- Mikhalenko, V.N., S.S. Kutuzov, I.I. Lavrentiev, M.G. Kunakhovich, L.G. Tompson (2005) Elbrus western firn plateau studies: results and prospects. Data of Glaciological Studies. 99: 185-190. (in Russian)
- Mikhalenko, V.N., S.S. Kutuzov, F.F. Fayzrakhmanov, O.V. Nagornov, L.G. Tompson, M.G. Kunakhovich, S.M. Arkhipov, A.N. Dikikh, R. Usubaliev (2005) Glaciers recession in Tien Shan in XIX - beginning of XXI centuries: results of ice core drilling and borehole temperature measurements. Data of Glaciological Studies. 98: 175-182. (in Russian)
- Mikhalenko, V.N., S.M. Arkhipov, S.S. Kutuzov (2004) Degradation of mountain glaciers in low and middle latitudes during the period of global climatic warming. Transactions of the Russian Academy of Science, Geography Series (Izvestia RAS, Series Geogr.), 4: 35-41. (in Russian)
Teaching and Outreach
since 2015 Lectures to Year 3 undergraduate students of the Department of Cryolithology and Glaciology, Moscow State (Lomonosov) University.
2013-2014 Series of lectures to Year 2 undergraduate students of the School of Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science (SAGES) at the Reading University, UK
2010-2013 Lectures, practicals, and seminars in Glaciology to Year 2 undergraduate students of the Department of Cryolithology and Glaciology, Moscow State (Lomonosov) University.
January-May 2007 Lectures in Physical Geography at the secondary school N 1862, Moscow, Russia.
January 2006 Lectures and practical classes on field techniques in Glaciology at the School of Young Geographers at the Moscow State (Lomonosov) University, Moscow, Russia
- 2016 – series of interviews for TV and Radio shows (Mayak, Silver Rain, Doc24, Mir 25, Rossiya).